Thursday, April 3, 2014

Cyber Punk and Steam Punk

Unfortunately, I'm not a huge fan of cyber/steam punk anymore because it's so overused in the game industry.  However, the one thing I do like about it is that this genre generally has strong, independent women (instead of a damsel in distress).  What I wanted to highlight was two titles that fell under the cyber/steam punk category, but didn't have strong female protagonists.  Chobits was an anime about personal computers that had the form of a human, essentially a robot.  Chii is childlike, weak, clingy, frilly, and can't say more than chiiii~....It was a terrible anime.  They wanted to incorporate a cyber punk idea, but made it lame cyber frill.  The next title I want to talk about it Bioshock Infinite.  It's one of my favorite video games ever, but I don't like the female protagonist very much.  Elizabeth is does have her strong moments, but quite often she would have her "no~ I'm running away! Come find me and save me!" moments, which did not aid to the character at all.  Considering how steam punk inspired the environment was, it would have been nice if they kept the strong heroin theme.


No comments:

Post a Comment