Thursday, March 20, 2014

Space Opera

While I did grow up watching Star Wars, I never watched Star Trek or any of those other movies though.  It wasn't because I didn't like the genre, because I actually really love outer-space.  It just wasn't what my parents were watching. 

Apparently though, I have watched a ton of space opera's because all of the space/mech animes I've watched contain the mono-myth narrative, a common pattern in space operas.  Neon Genesis Evangelion, Kakumeki Valvrave, and Susei no Gargantia are just a few animes that definitely fall under the space opera genre.  For Shinji, his journey is initiated when he is chosen to pilot mechs that combat these monsters called Angels (call to adventure).  For Haruto, he realizes that he loves the girl enough to sacrifice his life for her and continue fighting, even if she thinks he is a monster and hates him (death/abyss/atonement).  And for Red, it's when he realizes that he has made earth his new home, that he loves Emi, and doesn't want to leave (gift of the goddess/return).


No comments:

Post a Comment